Group Swim Lessons (Learn to Swim)
Group Lessons - Learn How to Swim
Group lessons are available as part of the Learn to Swim Program at Pearson Pools. These classes are not designed for advanced swimmers, but for those that are at a beginner level or looking to improve their stroke mechanics and endurance. Water safety is a component taught throughout all swim levels.
There are a total of 6 lessons during a given semester, with each session lasting 1 hour. There are no scheduled make-ups for any missed lessons!
Participants will be dived into two primary age groups - child/youth (5-11) and adult (12+). There are 4 levels for the child/youth group and 3 levels for adults. The first session will consist of a skills assessment, reviewing pool rules, and providing water safety information to families.
Where will lessons take place?
Lessons will be conducted in the basement of Pearson McGonigle, Pool 31 - 1800 North Broad Street
Who can participate?
Participation is open to all Temple students, alumni & employees (with paid recreation access). Only children of students and employees are permitted to take part in group swim lessons.
Cost and registration:
The cost for each participant is $70 for the entire six weeks and space is limited to 20 participants per class.
Register at the Campus Recreation Main Office located in Pearson and McGonigle Halls, Suite 303 between Monday, February 10th through Friday, March 13th.
Payment options include cash, Diamond Dollars, or check/money order made payable to Temple University; insufficient funds on checks will incur a $25 penalty.
Date of lessons will be on the following six Saturdays:
**There are no scheduled make-ups for any missed lessons**
|Lesson 1:||March 14th|
|Lesson 2:||March 21st|
|Lesson 3:||March 28th|
|Lesson 4:||April 4th|
|Lesson 5:||April 11th|
|Lesson 6:||April 18th|
Group Lesson Offerings:
5 – 11 year olds: 10:00 – 11:00 AM & 11:15 AM – 12:15 PM
12 and up – 12:30 – 1:30 PM
*Participants will be placed in appropriate groups on the first day of lessons*
Group I - Water Exploration
The objective of this level is to allow the participant to feel comfortable in the water, to enjoy the pool safely and to learn basic elementary aquatic skills such as breath control, prone and supine supported floating, and front and back supported glides. There are two levels for Group I:
· Level 1 - Introduction to Water Skills. Participants learn how to feel comfortable in the water and to enjoy the pool safely.
· Level 2 - Fundamental Aquatic Skills. Participants are provided with fundamental aquatics skills such as floating & kicking with assistance.
Group II - Primary Skills
The objective of this level is to begin locomotive water skills. This level involves floating without the support and recovering to an upright position, retrieving objects from the bottom of the shallow end of the pool and beginning strokes. There are two levels for Group II:
· Level 3 - Stroke Development. Builds on the skills in Level 2 by providing additional guided practice.
· Level 4 - Stroke Improvement. Develops a participant’s confidence in the strokes they already learned and improve upon other aquatic skills.
Group III - Stroke Preparation
The objective of this level is to learn how to coordinate strokes. Participants further improve strokes, including the front crawl, back crawl, backstroke, and treading water. There are two levels for Group III:
· Level 5 - Stroke Refinement. Provides further coordination, refinement of strokes & diving.
· Level 6 - Swimming and Skill Proficiency. Refines the strokes, so participants swim them with ease, efficiency, power, and smoothness over greater distances. Level 6 is designed with "menu" options decided upon by the instructor. Each of these options focuses on preparing students to participate in more advanced courses, such as Water Safety Instructor and Lifeguard Training. These options include Personal Water Safety, Fitness Swimming, Fundamentals of Diving, and Lifeguard Readiness.
For more information, as well as questions regarding Aquatics registration, contact Joe Wolgast, Aquatics Coordinator by phone at (215)-204-1675, or via e-mail at joe.wolgast.