Waivers and Rec Access
All patrons wishing to use the Aramark STAR Complex Climbing Wall must have Rec Access and must fill out a waiver for the facility.
Policies and Procedures
- Patrons must be in possession of a Temple University ID card with swipe access, and have paid their recreation fees. Temple-affiliated persons without swipe access can inquire about access in the Campus Recreation Main Office.
- Prior to climbing, all patrons must first submit a signed waiver and go through a general climbing wall orientation
- Use of the climbing wall facility is at your own risk.
- Both top-roping and bouldering have their own associated orientations and assessments that must be completed prior to individual useage.
- Orientations, assessments, and technical skills can only be taught by authorized and qualified Climbing Wall Student Staff.
- Climbers may use personal UIAA or CE certified carabiners, belay devices, chalk bags, and harnesses after inspection by qualified Student Staff. Gear rentals are also available at the front desk free of charge.
- Bags must be stored in cubbies. No personal items may be left on the floor.
- Campus Recreation and Temple University are not responsible for lost or stolen articles.
- Water is allowed in the climbing area. No other food, drinks, or gum are allowed on the floor.
- Climbing shoes or sneakers must be worn at all times. No barefoot belaying or belaying in flip flops allowed. No climbing barefoot, or in open-toed shoes, hiking boots, or hard-soled shoes.
- Socks must be worn with rental shoes.
- Climbers should remove jewelry on hands, loose-fitting necklaces, and hoop earrings prior to climbing. Phones, wallets, and other personal items should also be removed from pockets prior to climbing.
- No swinging or jumping on ropes.
- Do not grab bolt hangers or quickdraws. Bolt hangers are for carabiners only.
- Boulderers may not boulder above or below any other climbers.
- Climbers may not switch holds. Tell a staff member if a hold is loose or has spun.
- All accidents or incidents are to be reported to a Climbing Wall staff member immediately.
Never climbed before? No problem! Our staff can get you on the wall and climbing quickly with our free orientations!
During a Try-A-Climb, new and aspiring climbers can experience 30 minutes of supervised top-rope climbing with a Climbing Wall staff member. No climbing experience is necessary. Staff members will assist each patron with properly fitting equipment and will also belay (hold the rope) while their climber reaches new heights! Walk-ins are welcome during normal operating hours. Depending on the Climbing Wall's occupancy at time of arrival, patrons may be asked to wait. Try-A-Climbs are limited to two sessions per semester. Students interested in becoming self-sufficient climbers should schedule an Intro to Climbing session.
Bouldering is a great way to enjoy climbing without all the ropes, harnesses, and knots! During the bouldering orientation, patrons will be introduced to the differences between roped climbing and bouldering, as well as the risks associated with bouldering and how best to avoid them. Bouldering orientations are available upon request to patrons with previous climbing experience. Participating in a Try-A-Climb may be sufficient experience.
In order to belay at the Climbing Wall, patrons must first pass a belay assessment demonstrating competancy fitting a harness, tying a figure-8 retrace knot, and belaying with an ATC. Experienced climbers may request a belay test during normal operating hours. Climbing Wall Staff may not always be available to administer the belay test, and may ask patrons to wait or come back later depending on current wall occupancy.
Patrons who don't know how to belay but are interested in learning are encouraged to enroll in one of our Intro to Climbing clinics.